Friday, January 20, 2012

Two mile pleasure walk tonight


As my goal is to walk at least 30 minutes each day, I basically have mixed up my approach on how to accomplish this.  Instead of making each walk a “workout’ walk (wearing heart rate monitor, doing speed up/slow down intervals, making sure I’m in my target heart rate range,…), I alternate between doing workout walks and pleasure walks.  I have found that this approach really makes it easier for me to accomplish my goals – I don’t burnout from doing workout walks all the time.  Tonight was a pleasure walk, roughly two miles, walking for about a half hour.  The only bad part tonight, it was in the rain.  Luckily it was an easy rain and no downpours.

I am a bit disappointed with the rain though, not only will it continue into tomorrow, it will graduate to thunder & lighting.  I do not walk in thunder & lighting.  Tomorrow was the first hike I was going to take with a walking group I just joined.  They do walks every Sunday, but on the third Saturday of each month, they hike in the North Georgia mountains!  What they have done is break the 80 miles of the Appalachian Trail in Georgia into 10 different hikes.  So in about a year’s time, you end up hiking the entire 80 miles of the AT in GA.  Cool!   Oh well, I will look forward to next month’s hike on the AT.   



2 comments:

  1. I just watched a documentary about folks who hike the entire 2700 miles of the AT over the course of 3 or 4 months. Your plan for the Georgia portion sounds much more sane.

    There is a 2 mile walk in my neighborhood that takes me around a neighborhood park. It is the perfect 30 minute hike for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob,

    30 minutes a day seems to be the ideal amount of time for getting the benefits from walking, that's great - keep it up!

    I know what you mean about the sanity of hiking the entire AT - but I have learned (the hard way) to never say never. I'm really looking forward to the monthly hikes though.

    ReplyDelete