Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Online Fitness Walking Class - Weeks 6 & 7


Weeks 6 & 7: Muscular Strength

As a class we each continued our walking routines and group discussion board.  Also in week 7 a quiz on Muscular Strength.  

But for this module, our instructor introduced us to the next area: strength workouts.   (Here is my confession - I have not done strength training since, um, high school!)  However, after covering the material this week I have decided it is time to include some strength training into my weekly workout schedule. 

The learning activities included reading articles in this week's content on the following:

- Weight Training 101

- Weight Training for Muscle Strength

- Free Weights vs. Machines

- Steering Clear of Strength Plateaus
- Top 10 Reasons to Lift Weights
1. It helps you lose fat
2. It makes you strong
3. It reduces your risk of injury
4. It can reduce arthritis pain
5. It increases balance, stability and flexibility
6. It can make you better at sports
7. It makes you feel better about yourself
8. It can help lower blood pressure
9. It adds challenge and interest to your routine
10. It makes your life better
And - watched video "Exercise is Medicine™ - Keys to Exercise - Strength"


= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =  

This will be interesting for me.  I have definitely noticed so much strength lost over the years.  This will be good for me!



4 comments:

  1. The difference that strength training will make to your walking will surprise you. I have been a fitness instructor for over 20 years and it wasn't until I added added the strength training certification to my aerobic training that I conquered a history of lower back pain. The most important change, I believe, is the increase in core strength. I think that I will add that to my blog today along with my four favorite body weight strength moves (no weights required) that will enhance anyone's walking form. The increase in metabolism that is gained from that extra muscle is a great side benefit too.
    This course sounds great Scott!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sue! I'll definitely go check those out on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting objective! Retiring when you've completed 100 distance races. Most folks retire when they've reached some specific age, or when they've accumulated "X" dollars, or when they've simply become sick of working. Your objective is truly unique. Congratulations on "thinking outside the box." Bill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bill - this has actually changed how I look at my work now, it seems to have relieved some stress and pressure.

    Good luck on your upcoming trip.

    ReplyDelete