Thursday, March 8, 2012

Baseball - Oglethorpe Stormy Petrels

I love the game of baseball.  Many of my thoughts during long walks (especially this time of the year) are on baseball.  My plan for my walk the other night was simple - I'd take a ride over to Oglethorpe University, take my walk around the campus and then watch the Oglethorpe Stormy Petrels play baseball against Huntingdon College.

My plan sort of worked - I did not get much of a walk in but I did watch a pretty good game.  I suspected this might happen so I did take a walk during lunch earlier in the day.  However, it was great seeing the green of the grass on the field, the brownish tan of the infield, watching a few double plays, and seeing some good hits.


I have a lot of fond memories of Oglethorpe Baseball - my son played college ball there.  It's been a few years but some of the guys that he played ball with are still there.  It was fun seeing and talking with the parents of the guys.

For about 15 years, baseball was a huge part of our lives.  My son played Little League, travel ball, high school, college, and minor league baseball.  So we were always doing something baseball related.  Injuries ended my son's professional baseball career - but what a ride it was!  However, with each February/March I'm still anxious to get to games - college, spring training, minor league, it does not matter.  Just being at the ballpark is great!

I suspect I'll probably pick one day a week during the baseball season and post some baseball thoughts/stories.  But for now I will leave you with this:

Question:  What do you do with an elephant with three balls?

Answer:  Walk him and pitch to the giraffe...

:)


4 comments:

  1. I played other games, but I love baseball. Hurray for you and your boy, time well spent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - you are so right, in hindsight, this was a great great way to spend time with my son. That chapter is now closed but quite an incredible journey it was...

      Delete
  2. You taught me something new. I never heard of a petrel until now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Same here Dan, I had never heard of them before my son went there. Also, I learned from the guys on the team that the pronunciation is with a long "e" for the first "e".

      Delete