Sunday, March 11, 2012

Road Closed

I had no race planned for yesterday and I also was unsuccessful in finding someone to hike a section of the Appalachian Trail with me, so to get some miles in I headed over to my usual longer distance place - Suwanee Greenway.


I was on the greenway last weekend and remembered that sections had been closed as a result of the storms that went through just prior.  Typically some of the lower sections get flooded out so they temporarily close them until the water levels go down.  So I just expected things would be back to normal by now.  However, this is what I saw as I approached:




Hmmm...  My curiosity got the better of me and I decided to get closer and take a look to see why this section was closed.




My assumption was wrong (good lesson).  So for now, this section of the greenway is not safe - I'm guessing that this did happen as a result of the storms that went through last week.  I made my way around this and continued on with my goal of 8 miles.  The rest of the trail was all okay but of course on the way back, I 'd run into this again - and I did.




This is where the really good lesson for me came.  You see that opening on the left side in the above picture, well I've seen that opening hundreds of times and never once went there.  My assumption was that it just went up 30 feet or so to the subdivision next to the trail.  Well it does lead there.  However, it also leads to:




This is great - another trail!  And I never even knew it was there.  Once again, my assumption was wrong and it took the 'Road Closed' to force to look in another direction.    


Trail is about a mile long around the lake


The "Road Closed" was good,  it made me look at things differently.  So as I went on down other parts of the greenway, I decided to get off the beaten path and look around so instead of going right (in the picture below), I went left...  






The farther I went down this path, the muddier it got.  There were times I had a hard time figuring out where the path was or even if it existed anymore.  Also, the farther I went the more deer hoof prints I saw.  I kept following them and eventually saw:




This was just a great 8 miles!!!


6 comments:

  1. Gives a whole new meaning to "the road not taken," yes?
    LL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does! And it encourages me to go down them more often.

      Delete
  2. Living in a desert environment (not counting the 200 golf courses!,) I miss sights like you get to experience on a regular basis. I can imagine how beautiful these stretches of trail are when all the trees and bushes are full and green. Even in their stark winter appearance, you are blessed to be so close to such inviting places to hike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always had access to places like this (never lived in a desert) and I do tend to take them for granted. Thanks for the reminder for me to count those blessings.

      Delete
  3. Glad there were those roadblocks! Often you simply follow the marked path and have no idea what's behind the corner, only a couple of steps away, if it's not signposted. A good map sometimes helps but it's so much fun to find something unexpected!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true!! And it is so much fun to find those unexpected things...

      Delete