Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Changing Plan

I went for a 10 mile walk/jog/hike yesterday morning on the Suwanee Greenway.  It was on trail, blacktop, concrete, and boardwalk.  But the best part about it, at 8:00 to 10:00 AM, it was 90% shade!  This will be great during the summer months.

One of the trail sections - Suwanee Greenway
The main thing I thought about during these miles was how I'm actually still doing this healthy fitness stuff two years later.  How it actually seems to be working.  And how I still enjoy it.  So in my mind I went through the progression...

This whole walking/jogging/hiking thing started a few years ago.  For this I am very thankful!  It all started after an annual physical a few years back as a self motivated alternative to taking meds.  I weighed more than I should, my levels were out of the 'good' range, had no energy, felt sort of blah,... I wanted that to change so I put a plan together and am thrilled that it is still working.


For me, the plan has morphed into what it is today.   Maybe that is why it is still working - allowing the plan to change and adapt?  For instance, after the initial goals were met (weight was down, levels were in 'good' range), I started to lose interest and slack off.  This bothered me; I did not want to lose interest, I wanted/needed to continue.  Hence the addition of the goal to complete 100 races (before retirement from work).  That goal is out there for at least the next 5-7 years.  That is just what I needed to continue my motivation.  Subsequently I also included hiking and the 10,000 mile goal.  I am very thankful that it has been two years and my motivation is still very high.

I look forward to getting out and doing this every day.  There are days that it is the highlight of the day.  It is so easy for me to get into a rut: work, eat, watch TV, sleep, repeat.  As simple as it sounds, walking gets me out of that rut.  It's also fun planning ahead for what races/events to do, picking places I've never been before, coordinating with others who are doing the same, meeting up with them on race day, and of course - doing the race.  Also another fairly new part of this that I enjoy, blogging about it.  

Since embarking on my walking/jogging/hiking hobby, I've come across a lot of information on the topic.  Out of all of it, the best, in my opinion, and one of  main reasons I continue, is the following video:



Time for me to go for a walk    : )


3 comments:

  1. The plan that keeps you walking and hiking, must be the right plan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott, I don't read too many blogs but I always enjoy yours and really am grateful for the good photos you take. Glad you are still enjoying your journey.

    Mellody

    ReplyDelete