Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Bucket Test

You have not heard of the bucket test?  I've been telling people about the bucket test for years in industry and academia.  I typically go as far as using a bucket or a container of some sort as a prop.  This conversation is usually after someone (at work) says they are irreplaceable, you know, incapable of being replaced.  You know the bravado "I am too valuable for them to let me go".  Take the bucket test.   




The outcome of this test determines if you are irreplaceable - stick you finger in the bucket, take your finger out of the bucket, if the hole remains where your finger was, you are irreplaceable!  It's that simple.


As this blog is called Walking to Retirement, it is happening in the last years of my full time working career.  And I am enjoying this walking and blogging towards my retirement.  However, I, once again, had to take the bucket test  : (


The college where I work is in a world of hurt financially.  Millions of dollars, well, are just not there anymore.  The President is gone, the VP of Finance is gone, others involved with the money aspect of running the college are gone.  I also read the State Attorney General is investigating.  So the bottom line, 185 people will lose their jobs this month as one of the corrective measures put in place to balance the budget.   This really sucks because none of the 185 people who will be let go, had anything to do with causing the problem.


Okay, what does this have to do with walking.  For me, walking, especially long walks, help relieve stress and anxiety.  So for the month of June, I upped my walking mileage goal to 200 miles (it seemed like a better plan than consuming 200 beers : )  So far, it seems to make a difference.


I've been through this before in my career, but this one blindsided me.  I hope I still have a job at the end of the month.


I need to go for a walk.



3 comments:

  1. 200 miles... WOW! That's what 50 miles a week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the stress, we are replaceable, I work in a public high school and am one of the oldest. The kids replacing us are pretty good. I like your bucket test.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree. Walking burns away anxiety. Things almost always look better at the end of a long walk.

    ReplyDelete