Saturday, July 7, 2012

Sukiyaki

Early this morning I met up with the walking group over at the Alpharetta Greenway and did just over 5 miles with them.  It's always a nice walk with the group.  However, I wanted to do more so I did another 7 miles on my own afterwards.  It was during that 7 miles when thoughts of the song "Sukiyaki" came into my head.  Not sure why this song popped into my thoughts, but it did.  The song brings good memories for me.  It's from 1963, sung by Kyu Sakamoto, it's in Japanese, and it reached number one on the Billboard Pop Charts in the U.S.




Maybe my Mom liked this song and played it often, maybe it was on the (transistor!) radio a lot - after all it was number one.  Or maybe the long drive we had that summer of 1963 in our move from New Jersey to New Orleans caused us to hear it many times on the car radio?  Again, not sure why the song sticks out in my memory, but it does.


Tragically, Kyu Sakamoto was killed in the 1985 JAL123 airplane crash.  Thank you for this song Mr. Sakamoto.


3 comments:

  1. I've always liked that song, and we even arranged it for harp ensemble! The English title is pretty silly; the actual words are quite poignant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it is sort of silly, I read they did that in English speaking markets because they thought the actual name "Ue o Muite Arukō" would be too difficult to pronounce or even remember. They were probably right.

      That would be interesting on a harp!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful words, catchy tune! The power of music is astonishin - I still remember words & melodies of songs my older siblings played repeatedly when I was about 5! www.Montana1aday.com

    ReplyDelete