Sunday, October 14, 2012

Half Marathon or Full Marathon?



I am still trying to figure out which of these two distances  to concentrate on.  Out of 25 races to date, 14 have been half marathons, two have been full marathons.  

That should be enough evidence to convince anyone, including me, that the half is the distance I prefer.

Half or full?
Right?

Wrong.


As a build up for a November marathon I signed up for, completed 18 miles yesterday on the Suwanee Greenway.  Why???   Beyond that, I have also signed up for two more full marathons in early 2013 - force the issue I suppose.  Maybe I'll know after doing 3, 4, 5,... more fulls?  Fulls, fools, hmmm...

When I look at this logically, at my pace, usually 2:45-3:00, the half really is a great workout for me.   I'm not "racing" against anyone.  My goal is to finish, get a really good workout, and enjoy the process.  But of course, sometimes logic does not matter :)

I am curious though, for those of you who do these distances, do you have or did you have this internal battle?  If so, any insights?


3 comments:

  1. I have this battle every year. My solution..do one 26.2 or 50k per year, then the rest can be 13.1 or 25k's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike, good idea. Glad I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I photograph both. Plus, 5Ks.

    Thanks for visiting Hartford. Come on over next year. We put on a good race. It is called the country's greenest marathon for reasons on their website.

    ReplyDelete