Saturday, February 2, 2013

Songs from 100 Years Ago on the iPod

On many of my walks I listen to music.  A lot of the music I listen to is from the 60s & 70s.  It's feel good music to me and it typically brings back great memories.  I enjoy it.  However, I needed to change it up a bit, needed to add some new tunes, do something different.  The idea I came up for 2013 was to go through the 20th century, decade by decade, and select popular tunes/songs to add to my iPod.


The plan - each month get a sampling from a different decade:  January do 1900-1909, February do 1910-1919, and so on.  These would just be inter-mixed with whatever I have on the iPod.  So far, the choices have been:




January:  1900-1909

Give My Regards to Broadway
I’m a Yankee Doodle Dandy
The Entertainer
The Ragtime Dance
Waltzing Matilda
Pomp and Circumstance
Take Me Out to the Ballgame



February:  1910-1919

When Irish Eyes Are Smiling 
You Made Me Love You   
I Didn't Raise My Boy to Be a Soldier  
Over There  
Santa Lucia
Ragtime Cowboy Joe
Good-Bye Broadway, Hello France
Come, Josephine, in My Flying Machine
By the Light of the Silvery Moon


So far, I've gotten these from iTunes.  However, recently was made aware of (by my son-in-law, thanks Will!) archive.org.  It's definitely worth a look if you've never been to that site.  A lot of the things out there are in the Public Domain so that will allow me to download some of these instead of buying them via iTunes :)  Anyway, below are a few songs from archive.org that I figured out to embed in a blog post...


The Entertainer, 1902



Take Me Out to the Ballgame, 1908


Come, Josephine, in My Flying Machine, 1911



By the Light of the Silvery Moon, 1910



It was interesting doing the research for popular songs from 1910-1919, with World War I from 1914-1918.  A lot of popular songs during that period were very specific to the war (Over There; I Didn't Raise My Boy to Be a Soldier; Good-Bye Broadway, Hello France).  It was just an interesting tidbit that I was not expecting.   It has me curious now to what I'll notice in subsequent decades.

Off now for a long Saturday walk to listen to the "new" February songs...



1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! Thank you for sharing the music.

    ReplyDelete