Saturday, March 2, 2013

Songs from the 1920s

On my walks I usually listen to music.  A lot of the music I listen to is from the 60s & 70s.  It's feel good music, to me and it brings back a lot of great memories.  However, I needed to change it up a bit, needed to add some new tunes, do something different.  The idea I came up for 2013 was to go through the 20th century, decade by decade, and select popular tunes/songs to add to my iPod for that month.

For March, the decade was the 1920s.  I was blown away with the all the incredible music from the 20s!  What I found interesting, I've heard many of these songs before either in movies, TV shows, or even commercials (United Airlines - Rhapsody in Blue). But the one song that hit me the most was "Tip Toe Thru’ The Tulips With Me".  Growing up in the 1960s, everyone knew that this was Tiny Tim's song - well it was actually performed by Nick Lucas in 1929 a long time before Tiny Tim!

For March, I selected these songs from the 1920s:

California, Here I Come 1924
My Blue Heaven 1927
Ain’t She Sweet  1927
Ol’ Man River 1928
Charleston 1924
Tip Toe Thru’ The Tulips With Me  1929 
When You’re Smiling  1929
I’m Looking Over a Four Leaf Clover  1927 
Rhapsody in Blue  1924 
Bolero 1928  



Rhapsody in Blue, George Gershwin


Tip Toe Thru' The Tulips With Me, Nick Lucas

Bolero, Ravel


Ain't She Sweet


It was different on the walk this morning, trekking through the woods to Bolero.  It almost felt like it was a movie, if you think about it, they always have some type of music in scenes like that.  

There are so many more songs I want to get from the 20s.   I think after I get through the 20th century, I'll back track to the decades I was intrigued by the most and explore deeper, so far the 1920s are first in line.



2 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how the music we listen to while walking sets the tone and even sometimes the pace. Thanks for this post on the music of the 20s!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The music really does add another dimension to it. One of those things on my list that I have not found the time for - choreograph a bunch of fast beat songs for the iPod for workouts/races. At one point I thought I found the easy solution to this - in iTunes, you can display BPM (beats per minute). However none of the songs have anything in the BPM field. Someday...

      Delete