Sunday, June 9, 2013

22 Weeks to Chickamauga

It has been said that anyone, barring physical limitations, can walk a marathon.  I believe that is a true statement.  I also believe there are two huge variables that should be considered as part of that statement:  one - how long will it take to complete it and two - how will you feel afterwards.

I signed up for the Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon in November 2013 and it is my intention to walk every step of it.  The walk every step of the marathon will be a first for me.  I've done a few other marathons, but in each of them did include some running.  But after the knee pain that came on during Soldier Marathon and the subsequent discovery of it only hurts when I run, I gave up all running.

So with the goal of finishing Chickamauga under 6 hours and not feeling like crap afterwards, I have put a training plan together including fartleks, tempos, LSDs, and a bunch of easy walks.  Hopefully it will all work.

Last week was a good training week, it was any easy week, but that is how the plan works.

from Saturday's LSD


Week 1 Training for Chickamauga
Fartlek Workout
Fartlek mins/mile pace, really fast, fast as I can, walk: 8:15, 8:33, 9:06, 8:28, 8:23

I will have to check the calibration on my Garmin (FR60) footpod.


4 comments:

  1. Walking a 6 hour marathon is a pretty good pace. I think it's harder than running. You use more muscles, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's hard to complete 26.2 miles regardless of the mode. Maybe it's a different kind of hard. Think time on feet is a big difference - a person who runs a 3 hour marathon could be home, showered, fed, and taking a nap before the 6 hour (or longer) is finished.

      Delete
  2. I think you have a great plan here! We did the Disney Marathon in 2010 ... we followed a good training plan and did the race in 6 hours and 30 minutes. We stopped for pictures and had a lot of fun so I think that slowed us a little. We felt pretty good at the end but blisters were an issue. A good shoe with an ample toe box would be a must. I am finding that I love the New Balance Minimus Trail shoe for walking. I am walking with them in Paris and my feet feel great. You can get such a great heel strike and roll through with them. I might blog about it while we are here.
    I am thinking about a marathon this year ... I turn 60!! next week ... I can't belive it!
    I am going to go to the New Albany Walking Classic in Ohio in September for the half marathon.
    Happy training Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you mentioned taking pictures - when I do these things, always have my camera with me, love trying to capture as much as possible of the process and the race.

      60 - that's great, um I right on your heels! :) Pick a fun one. Good luck!

      Delete