Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Charging for Airline Seat Assignments?

What?

I've been booking my own flights for years and the standard protocol towards the end of the process is to select seat assignments.  So with an out of state race coming up in the Fall, saw some good deals so I recently booked flights online.  Towards the end of the process I clicked on Seat Assignments and saw this:

Pricing for Seat Assignments 

I thought, nah, this must be for something else.  Nope, every time I made a selection, dollars were added to the total amount the flights would cost.  If you wanted to select your seats the price structure is, per ticket, per flight:


$13-15 Priority Seating (first to board)............

$20 Exit Row (more leg room & first to board)

$6  Standard Seat (advance assignment)..........

So if my wife and I wanted Exit Row seats, coming and going, add $80 to the total price.  If we wanted Standard Seating, add $24 to the total.  Otherwise, I suppose you get your seat assignment at the gate.  Maybe we will get to sit together and maybe not.


Now I do not know where all of this is going with airlines charging for all sorts of things, but this did remind me of a Carol Burnett, Tim Conway, Harvey Korman skit about a No Frills Airline...








12 comments:

  1. Well, here's hoping you're not in the "No Frills" section - or getting off at Chicago! Thanks for sharing a nostalgic & timeless LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed out loud a few times watching that video - absolutely love their humor!

      Delete
  2. We saw this on a "cheap flight" to Hawaii. After adding the seat assignment and luggage it came out to the same price of "regular flights". (We didn't go)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - the big print giveth and the small print taketh away! We did get a pretty good rate though, but it will be my goal to only carry on and hope they don't charge me to do that :)

      Delete
  3. This clip is hilarious. Thanks so much for sharing. Little did we know that some day we would all be flying "no frills" -- but at full price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their humor is priceless! I was surprised to find many of their skits on youtube - even some entire shows.

      I'm not sure when baggage became a "frill", but it appears to be now. This whole thing has changed from something being very defined to very undefined.

      Delete
  4. We just had our first "buyer beware" moment as well. I thought I had booked our recent flight completely through United, but on the return leg, discovered the first segment was through a 'partnership' airline that couldn't accommodate any carry on luggage whatsover, other than purses. We subsequently had to check our carry on luggage to the tune of $15 a piece, $30 total.

    It's not the money that annoys me as much as the sense of having fallen victim to a bait-and-switch scenario. "So sorry ma'am that you didn't check to see if one section of your three section flight was on a teeny, tiny plane that subsequently generated a luggage fee."

    Which is why I booked with United (so I thought) in the first place - to avoid the hassle and pricing nuances of dealing with a nickle and dime airline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I fear, you might be describing the future... As things get more complex it really opens the door to those "buyer beware" things :(

      Delete
  5. Unbelievable how the "essentials" become the "extras" and those become the deal breakers for a trip.
    Loved the clip...especially where Carol is trying so hard not to break up when the "turbulence" starts. I remember those three always cracking up during skits. Always made me laugh harder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really miss shows like The Carol Burnett Show - I can't think of anything today even close.

      We were joking about this at work - essentials vs. extras - How long before they start selling non-transferable trips to the lavatory?!!!

      Delete
  6. I try to fly as infrequently as possible, so I am always amazed at how airlines treat their customers with such disrespect.

    For an upcoming trip to Portland in August I used free miles but discovered there is a $30 fee per person to actually use the miles, plus a $5 administrative fee (I guess to cover the cost of annoying their computer). Like you, Scott, there are options to pay extra for "better" seats...I passed. Our checked luggage will add $85 each way to the cost. So, my free miles cost $235.

    I know they no longer have pillows or blankets. The flights are over meal times, which now must be purchased.

    Airlines, you have to love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $235 for FREE tickets!!! Bob, that is absolutely crazy.

      Delete