Monday, June 3, 2013

Fartlek Monday

It's fartlek Monday and if my plan works, it will be fartlek Monday each Monday for the next 23 weeks.

I'm told, and have read that fartlek means "speed play" in Swedish.  It is a training method created by a Swedish coach, Gösta Holmér in 1937.  Basically this method includes short bursts of going very fast for short periods of time with longer periods of recovery in between.  You can read more about it here.   




My guess would be that most people who do fartleks are runners.  But for me, a former runner who does a bunch of of walking now, the technique should still work.

Why?

In all the races I've done so far, only three have been marathons - just felt like challenging myself to do another.  The problem, it has a 6 hour time limit, which is about how long it's taken me for each of the three I've done so far - which all included some running.  But with the recent knee issues/pain, I've eliminated all running.  The good part - no pain, no knee issues since eliminating the running.  The other side of that though, I go slower.  The going slower is fine with me, but then I signed up for the 6 hour time limit Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon.


I'll let you know if fartleks work in about 23 weeks.




1 comment: