Saturday, June 8, 2013

LSD Saturday

Along with Fartlek Monday & Tempo Wednesday, the last piece to this puzzle is LSD Saturday.  That would be Long Slow Distance Saturday.  The theory here is to continue to add more & more distance, but to do those miles slowly, on Saturdays, to acclimate my body to being out on the course for a really long time.  This is necessary because it will take me the better part of 6 hours to complete Chickamauga Marathon.


This Saturday's LSD was 10 miles, the plan is to build that up to 24 miles over the next few months.  The other learning aspect of doing the longer distances, you figure out what works for you in regards to eating & drinking while doing this.  Currently I tend to 'fuel' my longer distances with Gummi Bears, Granola Bars, water, and orange Gatorade.  I'm sure I'll experiment with different foods & drinks to see what works best.

I am told and have read that the LSD is the key to being able to do the marathon.  They do emphasize that one should actually go slow (slower than race pace) on these.  So, with my goal of walking the entire marathon (26.2 miles) under 6 hours, that would mean my average pace during the race will need to be less than 13:43 minutes per mile.

Pace Calculator  http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/4/4_1/96.shtml

Actually I'm shooting for a 13:00 minute/mile race pace, so that means my LSD speed would be ~2:00 per mile slower, 15:00 minute miles or roughly 4 MPH.




4 comments:

  1. I also count "time on your feet" as training. Any long day of walking...site seeing, Disneyland, you name it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly - it all counts Mike! That is one of the reasons why a day a Disney is so exhausting, it actually takes effort.

      Delete
  2. And will your music selection for Saturdays include appropriate tempo selections from tha psychedelic era? :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cyndy, great idea - need to add a little Joplin & Hendrix!

      Delete