Thursday, June 27, 2013

MOOCs

A massive open online course (MOOC), according to Wikipedia, is an online course aimed at large scale interactive participation and open access via the web and it's free.  Wait a minute - nothing is free!


I decided to give it a try - signed up for a few courses, for free  : )





Using Coursera as a MOOC provider, I signed up for things that interested me and did not overlap on the calendar.   You do not actually get college credit for these, but for me - I just want the knowledge.  We'll see, should be interesting.

Years and years ago, before the (gulp) internet existed, while in graduate school, I did a practicum titled "Using CAI (computer assisted instruction) to Teach DOS in a Business Environment".  To me, MOOCs are just another step on this path of whatever this really is.  So if the CAI (implemented with 5 1/4 floppy disks!) approach was when this was in its infancy, maybe MOOCs would be like a teenager. I think it still has a ways to go, but it does seem to be picking up momentum.  

One of the most interesting sites I found while googling for MOOCs is a blog titled "degree of freedom" where the author is attempting to take four years of courses in 12 months for zero dollars.  It's worth a look if you are interested in MOOCs.  

I'm curious if any of you have taken any MOOCs and if so, how was it?





2 comments:

  1. These sound really interesting! I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the heads up, Scott. Hopefully I can sign up for them being Canadian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think I read somewhere that there are more people outside the U.S. signing up for these courses. It would really defeat the meaning of "open" if you cannot :)

      Delete