Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Tempo Wednesday

So just like Fartlek Monday for the next 23 weeks, Wednesdays will be Tempo Wednesday.

This is the first time I've put a very specific plan in place for a race.  Sure, I have half-heartedly prepared for races in the past, but I have never seriously approached it.  Just figured I give it a try and see what happens.

Anyway, my tempo workouts will consist of a warm-up period, walk slow/normal pace followed by going "race pace" and finishing with a slow walk cool down.  For instance, this being the first of many today, I did a 10-10-10 (10 minutes slow, 10 minutes race pace, 10 minutes slow).  I will build the "race pace" part up to 40 minutes for a 10-40-10.  But for now, the 10-10-10 will be fine.  

And just like the fartleks, I'll let you know in about 23 weeks, after the Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon, if this actually works.

Tonight's tempo was fine until the pouring rain started : ) about 8 minutes in.   So I got soaked, but it actually felt pretty good.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Scott! Another workout that I love is HIIT. High intensity interval training ...You could follow basically the same plan you outlined and throw in 20 to 30 second bursts of "fast as you can" walking. The key is to give yourself enough time to recover after each interval and to really give it your all during the interval.

    You only need to put four or five bursts into a thirty minute walk and it has a huge impact on your speed and many health benefits as well.
    We are walking in Paris this week so I will be back to my blog!
    Walk On,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paris! That sounds great! Enjoy your walks there.

      HIIT sounds like a pretty good workout - similar to fartleks, I'm doing those on Mondays - totally agree with the concept.

      Delete