Friday, July 12, 2013

Sometimes I Do Get Lucky

In the big picture of life, this is a small thing.  But it did make my day.

With all the walking, I drink a lot of water and even more so in the summer.  Depending on where you live, you may need a water filtration system.  We do.  Since ours was leaking, we needed a new filtered water pitcher, the old one, a Brita, served us well for quite a while.

So I'm at the grocery store (probably not the best place to buy one of these) and I happen to see two models: a 10 cup pitcher for $38.99 and an 8 cup for $34.99.   Holy cow!  I had no idea they cost that much.  Forget about it - no way am I spending that much.

A few days pass and I'm curious enough to google these filtered water pitchers to see prices.  Yep, upper 20s and into the 30s seems to be the going price.

Next time at the grocery store I noticed the 8 cup Brita filtered water pitcher is $8.00 off.  So instead of 34.99, it was 26.99.  Since my mind had come up to speed on pricing these things, in the cart it went.  At the register I'm watching as they scanned it in - it came up as 34.99.   I mentioned to the clerk that it should have rung up as 26.99 so he sends someone to look at the pricing on the shelf.  They report back saying it should be 26.99 so the clerk subtracts 34.99 from the bill but does not add any amount back to it.  The store's policy is if it comes up  a wrong price, the item is free - no charge!  Thanks Publix!





And since it was free, the water really does seem to taste even better!


4 comments:

  1. Free stuff just IS intrinsically better, Scott! We use the on-tap Brita system and the replacement filters are between $16 and $20 a pop. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Yep. Sort of reminds of when I worked at HP - they'd practically give printers away knowing that the real money was in selling the printer ink!

      Delete
  2. A cliche rings true, once again, and on multiple levels : "The best things in life are free!."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or is it karma for all the times a vending machine has taken my money? :)

      Delete