Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A Walk at the Braves Stadium

Rarely a year goes by that we do not get down to Turner Field, home of the Atlanta Braves, at least once.  But here it was late September and we had not been to see a major league game live.  We were able to snag some first row upper deck seats (my favorite) to see the Braves vs. Milwaukee Brewers.  Since the Braves had just clinched the division the night before the game did not have much significance.  However, they were still competing for home field advantage in the playoffs, but that was about it.

This was day 69 for me in my goal to walk 1000 days in a row so I needed to incorporate a walk into the ballgame.  By taking Marta (Metro Atlanta's subway) to Five Points and transferring over to the Georgia State University station it put us exactly one mile from the stadium.  Arriving early to the stadium allowed us to watch some batting practice and get in another two miles just walking around the stadium.  It was a fun three miles.

It was fun seeing the stadium prior to the game crowd getting there.  Some of what we saw...

Baseball Art

Brewers taking batting practice
Easy getting a walk in before the game

BP


More baseball art showing the cities the Braves have had for their home town

There are no shortage of places to grab a bite to eat at the ballpark and it is much more than hotdogs and peanuts.  As we were deciding on what to eat I could not get over the sign that had prices for pizza.  The regular price (meaning you are not a season ticket holder) was $34.00!  There was other pricing craziness in the sign but the 34.00 just stood out so much I had to get a picture:

$34.00 pizza
We made out way up to our seats and enjoyed the game.  The Brave lost 5-0 but as always, for me, there is never a bad day at the ballpark.

During the game, just looking around, noticed something that I thought would be very hard to explain to my grandfather, if he was still alive.  My grandfather took me to my first MLB game at Shea Stadium in 1969 (the miracle Mets that year) and was a huge baseball fan.  The picture below is a guy in the first row by the on deck circle, with a TV nearby and he's looking at his tablet device...



Ah, but the best thing about the game this night, it was fan appreciation week and everyone in attendance received this:

Free ticket for a 2014 Braves game!

So we will go to game next year, but I'm pretty sure we won't get a pizza!


No comments:

Post a Comment