Thursday, September 19, 2013

DIY Kitchen Faucet With SharkBites

When you (and the bank) own a house, there is never a shortage of projects, it never ends...

This project - leaky kitchen faucet.  The leaky faucet was the original that the builder put in 20 years ago, it was time for a new one.  Went to the Home Depot website and found 2,751 choices under kitchen faucets ranging from $17.38 to $1740.00.  Oh yeah, this will be straight forward and easy : )

Headed over to Home Depot with a price range in mind to look at a few.  Although plumbing is not a skill that I am overly comfortable with, after dishing out just under $300 for a leaky valve under the sink I was determined to do this myself to save money.

We bought one and also figured it made sense to replace the original, 20 year old supply lines and shut off valves.  The shut off valves I purchased are a new (to me) product - SharkBites.  More on these later.

Ready to start project

Step One - turn the water off to the house and drain it all out at the lowest point in the house.

Don't know what lives down there!
The plumber I hired previously did give me a number of pointers - one was to shut the water off at the main instead of the shut off valve inside the house (if the inside shut off valve is bad, it can cause a whole other problem) and two, don't put you hand down in there, get a Steel Curb Key instead.


Step Two - disconnect and remove the old faucet.

This is much easier said than done!

The first thing I realized, this is a really confined area with not much room to work.  So I removed as many drainage (PVC) pipes that I could and disconnected the old supply lines.


The next task of the removal was the hardest and most time consuming aspect of this entire project.  I could not loosen the supply line nut or the nut that secured the original faucet.  Of course these were the most difficult nuts to get at and there was no room to get a wrench on them securely.

The hard part of this project

Solution - get the drill and drill as many holes as it takes to get the white fastener to move.  I did finally get it so I could unscrew it.  However, I could not get the supply line nut to move at all.  Next I got a hack saw, raised the faucet up and sawed it off from the top side.




Projects never seem to be easy or go the way I thought the would.

Step Three - Remove the old shut off valves.

This step can be tricky because you do not want to damage the existing water lines.  It takes two wrenches going in opposite directions to loosen the nut.  Once that is done, the old compression ring needs to be removed.  Luckily these two came off pretty easy.

Removal of old compression ring
Step Four - install new shut off valves.

As mentioned up top, I decided to use SharkBites here.

SharkBites
I've talked to a lot people regarding these.  I've goolged and read a bunch also and am convinced on using  them.  So I followed their instructions and pushed them on to the pipes.


This seems too easy.


Step Five - install and connect new faucet.

Used silicone to seal the new faucet so water cannot get down through the holes.


Hooked everything back up.  This was so much easier than taking it apart.


Turn the water back on at the main.  Check for leaks.

Complete!

Just another project checked off the list in an effort to get this house ready to sell as we make our way to that thing they call "retirement".

No comments:

Post a Comment