Sunday, February 9, 2014

First 2014 Baseball Game & Two 20 Milers

Baseball

Yes - baseball season has officially started!  It started January 31st on a bright, sunny, 55 degree day with the Georgia Gwinnett College Grizzlies hosting the Shawnee State University Bears in an NAIA collegiate season opener.  I was able to catch a few innings after work that day - but - baseball in January?

When I got there, I thought it was going to be one of those classic moments as Zach Alvord was at the plate with bases loaded.


Would have loved for this guy to hit a dinger and clear the bases, but the pitcher did not serve him up much and walked him on a 3-1 count.  It'll be fun watching this guy through the season - he was an 18th round pick by the Altanta Braves in 2010 but went the college route instead of going pro.  I'm sure he's on the scouts radar though.

The field was in great shape considering it had been covered in snow two days prior.  There were only a few hints of snow, this one was of Shawnee State's Blake Maines in the on deck circle with the snow where the sun don't shine...


GGC secured the 11-6 win with a seven run 7th inning.  Still hard to believe that baseball started in January.


Two more 20 Milers

This is odd for me, four 20 milers so far this year with the last two on back to back Saturdays.  This has never happened for me before.  This was not a New Year's resolution; it is sort of just happening.  I do not think I can explain why.  These walks are taking just shy of five hours to complete, roughly 15 minute miles.  The one thing that I am learning from these walks though, the mental aspect is really hard, probably harder than the physical.  During these, in my brain, there is is a battle going on.  One side wants to continue and the other side wants to stop.

In yesterday's 20 miler the idea came up of trying to somehow incorporate a 20 miler with a baseball game.  This would be an urban 20 miles instead of on the Suwanee Greenway.  I'll have to look at the baseball schedules for Oglethorpe, Georgia Tech, and Emory.

1 comment:

  1. Serious dedication - both for January baseball and your continued walking! I look forward to seeing how you combine the two in an urban ramble!

    ReplyDelete