Sunday, April 17, 2016

Japan Badge


Once again, to my surprise, an email came from fitbit "Congrats on earning your Japan Badge!".  The distance badges are a tracking of how many miles one has gone since first strapping on the fitbit.  They are not in increments of hundreds or thousands of miles, they are an actual mileage of something physical.  In this case, it is 1869 miles, the full length of Japan.



What made this unique was the timing of it.  Less than 24 hours earlier I had finished the book "The Railway Man".  It is a nonfiction account of Eric Lomax, a British Army officer, who was taken prisoner by the Japanese during World War II.  The book went into great detail about what it was like for him as a POW, to be tortured mentally and physically, to be starved, to be waterboarded, to be treated inhumanely...


It is an incredible account.  What made this a very good read, after suffering for many years after the war with nightmares and wanting revenge, was able able to meet one of his tormentors, 50 years later, and forgive him!


If you are looking for a really good read, I recommend this book.

2 comments:

  1. Impressive trekking, especially with the recent read tie-in. And what an amazing story ending! I read "Unbroken" a couple years ago, and was amazed at the similar challenge toward forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I missed your comment... I will add "Unbroken" to my list, doing a lot of reading now as I commute downtown Atlanta on the subway for work, ~40-50 minutes of reading each day :)

      Delete