Thursday, July 4, 2013

Race 38 - Virtual Race for Medals4Mettle: A Suburban Hike

I recently came across a different type of race - a virtual race.  A virtual race is basically a fundraiser that you can do at anytime (usually within a date range) and anywhere.  So for my 38th race I did the Swagtastic Virtual Race for Medals4Mettle.  They had three distance choices: 5K, 10K, or half marathon.  I signed up for the half marathon.

Medals4Mettle is an organization that presents donated finisher's medals from the completion of a marathon, half marathon, or triathlon to children and adults fighting debilitating illnesses who might not be able to run a race, but are in a race of their own just to continue to live their life.

http://www.medals4mettle.org/history.html

Originally my plan was to do a half marathon hike up on the Appalachian Trail for this but the weather did not cooperate.  Instead I decided to simply do a half marathon suburban hike.  I was out the door before 7:00 AM heading east.  The goal was to go 6.5 miles out, turn around and go back.  I've experienced this before and have said it many times - you really do not see many things even if you have driven down a road hundreds of times.  There is just something nice about slowing down and really seeing your surroundings.

The only challenge (besides making my legs walk 13.1 miles) was - my footpod stop working at 2.34 miles.  So I really did not know how far I should go.  Ended up doing more of a lollipop route instead of an out and back guessing at the mileage.  When I got home retraced the route in my truck.  It was only 11 miles.  Went back out and did the last 2 miles.

It's quite different doing a virtual race, but it really does support something good.

Just a few pics from the route:

Berries!  everywhere
At the corner of Peachtree & Old Peachtree
New Life Baptist Church
Red Barn
Gated Community
Grazing
Coming Soon
Sugarloaf Plaza
Home Depot on the 4th of July
Look who is coming to town
Crops look good
...




1 comment: